Trip Report 5/29 to 6/2 - part one

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Bobbi in Denver desde ( el día jueves, 03 de junio, 2004 a las 20:15:26 horas :

Wow...hard to believe this time went so fast & I'm already home. But here's what my friend Iliana and I did on our trip to Z. I have been to Ixtapa once a year for the last 4 years on a volleyball trip, but have never stayed in Z. A cheap fare on Frontier and off-season hotel prices made a quick holiday weekend trip irresistable.

Saturday - arrived via Frontier airlines direct from Denver. Good flight, free DirectTV until we couldn't get signal about 1 hour outside of Z. Took a cab to our hotel, Bungalows Adelamar which we had booked through email (handled very well and every thing was in order when we arrived). We were quickly checked in and settled in our room and off to explore and see what was new! Stumbled across a little restaurant called Bambino's on Pedro Ascencio. They serve Italian food (pasta, calzones) Met our waiter Victor who was terrific and makes a fabulous margarita - it was dos por uno everytime we went there no matter when it was! Dinner at Casa Bahia was very good and had a nice conversation with Will (the owner?). Walked back to El Centro and visited Bandito's which had a live band. On our walk back to our hotel, we met our "guardian angel" dog who we named Gabriel. He escorted us all the way to the door of our hotel...more about him later.

Sunday - walked to Commercial Mexicana to buy some beach towels and a few other necessities, then took the cambio to Ixtapa and on to Playa Linda so that Iliana could make her first trip to Isla Ixtapa. We waited in a very long line to buy our tickets and then waited in an equally long line to get a ride to the island. As we were standing in line, we realized that Sunday was probably not the best day to hit Isla Ixtapa since the majority of the visitors were large families....note for next time - go on a weekday. We met Tony (who called himself Tony, Baloney, Macaroni) who directed us to Marlin II on the beach around the right side of the island as you are facing out to sea. You can have the boat drop you there directly. We had a nice lunch (shrimp tacos, ceviche & quesadillas) and cold cervezas. Tony told the waiter to "treat us like queens" which they did. We found out Tony has a connection to Denver by the shirt he was wearing. We bought a few trinkets and enjoyed watching a family scooping sea shells out of the sand. Within a short time, they had gathered a large sack of shells and headed back to shore. We headed back to Ixtapa and did a bit more shopping, then back to the hotel. We tried a couple of the restaurants on Playa La Ropa. We had the taxi take us to La Gaviota since it was the farthest down the beach, but there was absolutely no one there and the staff did not acknowledge us when we walked in to take a peek. We headed to Rossy's and had a margarita, but thought we would walk a bit farther toward town since it looked like it was going to rain any minute. We finally decided on Paty's Mar y Mar. We chose a table under the canopy (close to the building since it still looked like rain). There were a few groups dining under the palapas on the beach and there were luminarias lit as well. We ordered drinks, soup and dinner. Our drinks took a while, my soup took a really long time (Iliana had almost finished her soup when mine arrived) and dinner was served slowly as well. Iliana had tortilla soup which good and served with the garnishes of cheese, avocado, dried chiles and pico de gallo on the side. I had the shrimp soup - was EXTREMELY spicy, but really good. I was just surprised that I had any taste buds left after that first mouthful. I had the tuna steak with spicy sauce...which was nowhere near as spicy as the shrimp soup. It actually was almost like a barbeque sauce and very good. Just as we were finishing our soup, it started to rain, then the skies just opened up and it rained very hard for about 45 minutes. One couple was in the middle of their dinner under the palapa and was reluctant to run for cover, but finally did eventually. It was kind of fun watching the lightning and the rain - although I don't think the waiter enjoyed running out to the couple under the palapa! We took a cab back to our hotel stopping on the way at store for some cold cervezas and called it a night. There seemed to be a few streets flooded and there was an area washed out on the road back from Mar y Mar to our hotel due to the heavy rain. We didn't notice any major damage but there was a lot of clean up and repair going on the next day.

Will continue with Monday & Tuesday in another post.

Hopefully this looking at someones pictures....I found a picture of Gabriel (our guardian angel dog)! It's cool because I haven't finished my film yet and don't have any pictures back!

Here's the link:

Follow Ups: